Wednesday, August 6, 2008

LOVECRAFT IN FILM : An Introduction


Speaking of the weird fiction of H.P. Lovecraft, I wanted to get started on what I expect to be a series of posts about films that bear the influence of his work. Years ago, as I first discovered his stories, I began to realize that a lot of the monster movies I enjoyed were very much connected to Lovecraftian imagery and themes. Some of these films were either direct adaptations, or tangentially influenced, but all were connected in some way to his imaginative works .

I plan to touch on how elements of Lovecraftian Design, Story and Theme have permeated these films. I also plan on discussing the huge challenge filmmakers have faced in their efforts to ADAPT his work, and how these different films have succeeded or failed in their efforts.

I hope this will be an interesting examination, worthy of a case study at Miskatonic University...

3 comments:

James Baker said...

Derek! I happy to see you start blogging, and not just with your awesome pix but also now with some of your keen observations.

I have been reading Lovecraft lately, so I look forward to more of your posts about him. (You will get extra GOMER POWER POINTS if you can sprinkle the works STYGIAN and CYCLOPEAN throughout your posts about him, in future).

bko said...

So dillegently posting. I wish I could send you mails telling you to update your blog. Since I can't, I guess I'll just post comments on them. Lovecraft seems to be a great inspiration but a horrible adaptation. I can't think of a succesful adaption. Though plenty of great inspired pieces( like the amazing Creature from the Black Lagoon, Hellboy ,uhh Conan, etc) I guess you'll have to reach into the Stygian darkness of your memory past the Cyclopean crypts of horror to find them. Good Luck!!

DerekMonster said...

it's true, brian, that there aren't very many successful adaptations of HPL's work, although there ARE a few that come close...

i'll be touching more on the broad influence of HPL, and how many films that aren't SPECIFIC adaptations actually come closer to that STYGIAN place deep inside up all...